Card Scanners for Attendance Tracking at Events
The Center for Leadership & Involvement (CfLI) has card scanners available for Student Organization use.
Scanning student IDs at events allows your organization to:
- Speed up the check-in process. Students only need to provide their Student ID, instead of spending time to write down their name and email. Additionally, this will save time for your organization if you want to transfer this information to an electronic document.
- Track attendance electronically. After an event and returning the card scanner to CfLI, the attendance of your event will be provided through WIN (Wisconsin Involvement Network) and by email
- Tracking attendance in WIN benefits both your organization and your members because the event attendance shows up in the Leadership & Involvement Record in individual students’ WIN pages
- The Student Organization Representative will also be provided a list of emails of those in attendance after the scanners are returned
- Send surveys and advertisements to event attendees
How to reserve a scanner:
- Please fill out the Card Scanner Reservation Request form on CfLI’s WIN page at this link: https://win.wisc.edu/form/start/31326
- Note that these scanners are available on a first-come first-served basis and we have a limited number – plan ahead!
- On the day of your event, come to CfLI, 3rd floor Red Gym, between 10:00am and 6:00pm to pick up the scanner(s)
- You’ll be asked to sign an agreement form, assuring that you are aware of the due date and policies
Card Scanner Policies:
- Scanners can only be checked out after 10:00am on the day of the event (or on Friday before a Saturday or Sunday event)
- Scanners are due before 5:00pm on the day after the event (on Monday after a Friday, Saturday or Sunday event)
- If the scanner is not returned by the due date and time, status as a Registered Student Organization, including all of its rights and privileges, may be revoked
- If the scanner is not returned by the due date and time, the student who checked out the scanner will personally be charged a fine of $10 per business day
- If not returned for 10 business days, the unit will be considered lost and the student who checked out the scanner will personally be charged the $200 replacement cost
- If the unit is damaged, a fine may be assessed up to replacement cost to the student who checked out the scanner
Instructions for Use:
- Push the button while aiming the laser at the bar code of student’s Wiscard
- When you hear a beep, the card has been scanned
- If you do not hear a beep or see the light above the button turn from green to red, track the student in a different way (i.e. signing in by hand)
- **Note: If the device is not beeping at all, hold down the button for 15-20 seconds and then try again
Note: The Card Scanner will only work for UW-Madison Wiscards. To track attendance for people who are not UW Students, Faculty or Staff (or someone who does not have their Wiscard with them), you may want to provide a sign in sheet.